Americans' pragmatic personality traits determine their attitude to "comfort" as the first goal in their home life. The house is not only beautiful, it is more important to make the people who live in it feel comfortable and warm. The essence of the American style is reflected in this modest life.
The American style retains the delicate, elegant, and noble features of the European style, discarding some elements of excessive exaggeration and luxury, and the materials, colors, and furniture show a comfortable, rough texture and nostalgic era.
On the hard installation, the American style pays attention to symmetry and visual balance, and usually has a tall fireplace and porch. The doors and windows are mainly characterized by French doors with double openings and glass windows that can move up and down. The wall is usually decorated with latex paint or wallpaper. The ground is mostly dark-colored parquet flooring.
The decorative marble pattern is mostly used at the entrance in soft decoration. For example, strong oil paintings, high-quality silk and velvet dark-colored curtains, carpets with oriental colors or Indian motifs, and accessories are mainly antiques, crystal lamps, and brass. In summary, if you want to create a pure American design feeling, we might as well introduce some classic American design elements in the home. Below, I will share from the aspects of furniture, fireplace, wall panel, fabric, kitchen.
1. The furniture American furniture is mostly solid wood furniture, they are low in color and have a natural sense of vicissitudes. Tables, chairs, coffee tables, sofas, beds, etc. are made of rough wood that appears to be unpolished and is not necessarily painted. Some furniture or antiques handed down from the ancestors, the furnishings that have been honed over the years, condensed a sense of history and precipitation, and they carry the owner's full memories. To achieve this stale effect, you can choose some old furniture, sometimes cast iron is also used to make furniture, such as beds, chairs, side tables and some outdoor furniture, but the frequency of use is not as high as solid wood furniture.
2. Wood fireplace mantels, especially long hardwood fireplaces, were used to place candlesticks and other handy tools in the earliest days. The family life in the early days of the United States mainly revolved around the fireplace, which has the functions of heating, cooking and lighting. People's dependence on the fireplace was not changed until the gradual popularity of the stove in the 19th century. Although the practicality is reduced, the fireplace is still the most typical decorative element of American design, and many families will still keep the fireplace during renovation.
For people living in today's cities, the fireplace can be designed to be both practical and decorative. For example, the fireplace and the TV background wall are designed together, or the electric heating equipment with dynamic flame is embedded in the fireplace. When considering the heat dissipation and thermal insulation of electrical equipment.
3. Wall panels, also known as "wall skirts and sidings," are also commonly used decoration elements in American style. Traditional wainscoting boards are made of solid wood. Nowadays, the materials of wainscoting boards are more and more diversified, and they are light, fire-proof, and anti-point. They have more decorative effects and more convenient maintenance.
4. Cloth Americans attach great importance to the natural comfort of life. This has been mentioned above, so soft, warm and comfortable fabric is a very important decorative element in American homes. everywhere. The proportion of the space occupied by curtains is relatively large, it is easier to attract people's attention, and plays a vital role in shaping the overall space atmosphere. In order to reflect the characteristics of low-key luxury, American classical curtains generally use stable color, good vertical and thick fabrics. Various velvet fabrics, jacquard fabrics and printed fabrics are very popular.
Carpet is a very important decorative element in American design. Striped carpets can be placed in the aisles. Square carpets can be prevented under the sofas. The size is slightly larger than the entire group of sofas. We often hear American-style gardens and American-style villages. At this time, the fabrics are mainly natural cotton or printed fabrics, and the patterns are mostly flowers or exotic patterns. Simple and simple stripes and lattice patterns are also more common. These two patterns are full of visual rationality and are conducive to creating a sense of order and space.
5. The kitchen American kitchen is generally open. Modern American kitchens even incorporate televisions and speakers, making the kitchen a living space that integrates multiple functions such as cooking, dining, communication, and entertainment. American kitchens have relatively high space requirements. Usually, a simple dining table is arranged at the corner of the kitchen, or an extra multi-functional kitchen island operation table is designed, so it is more suitable for larger villas and apartments.
American kitchens have higher requirements for ventilation and daylighting. As many windows as possible should be opened to ensure that the kitchen space is bright and transparent. For kitchens with insufficient daylighting, adequate warm light sources should be configured. American kitchens prefer solid wood, Stone, antique brick and other materials with texture.
Although the integrated ceiling is easier to take care of, the pure American kitchen is more suitable for plasterboard and wooden beams, in order to increase the natural and warm feeling of the kitchen. The cabinets are mainly solid wood cabinets with simple shapes and practical functions. The cabinet doors are mostly solid wood doors or white imitation wood grain molded doors. The dining room is often regarded as a part of the kitchen in the design of the American kitchen. Therefore, the style and materials of the dining room should be consistent with the kitchen as much as possible. The mixed dining table and chairs such as wood, stone, leather, linen, etc. are all good choices.
- END | Previous Articles -